Sunday, February 1, 2009

Revising

I spent the better part of this week revising and polishing a 50 page proposal to go out. Here's how it went:

Step one:

open Word doc

Step two:

Procrastinate by reading blogs instead. Find lots of interesting info then come across Jane Kennedy Sutton's blog on Overused Words and Redundancies think, fabulous this is what I need to revise. Follow her link to a list of overused words. Print out list.

Step three:

Use find and replace to replace all words on list with a blank space. So that I can go back later and fix. Oh, boy, notice many other words I over use. Write them on list-creating my own list of repeated words.

Shred manuscript into thousand holes- who knew I liked to use the words so, that and glance so much?!

Step four:

Run from holey manuscript convinced I am a hack and am only published because publisher was desperate.

Step five:

Go back to procrastination by reading great blogs. Discover Howard Hopkin's blog "Who do you think you are?" about Creepy Thought Gnomes

Realise that I might be a hack but I can always revise. Thought Gnomes are hacks!

Step six:

Go back to shredded sentences with thesaurus in hand. Discover that holes make sentences stronger. Writing better. Revising easier.

Step seven:

Print out final copy of proposal. Place in envelop with Query letter, bio and SASE. Take letter to the post. Celebrate!

Step eight:

Thank ALL new blogger friends-wish I could mention all the great blogs but that would only cause more procrastination on my part.

10 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

There was some good stuff posted this week!

I absolutely HATE to procrastinate and will diligently attack my to-do list and persist until finished. What kills me are distractions! Several emails requesting information and I can't just copy & paste my one-size fits all info; the washing machine signifies it needs its fabric softener; lunchtime rolls around; cats want on my lap; etc.
Not THAT drives me nuts!

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

Ha ha procrastination is obviously catchy! I've been suffering from it too! :)

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I so identified with your revision steps! Thanks for the laugh and the mention.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
Author of The Ride
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Heh.. I've had many days go that way myself!

Morgan Mandel said...

We need 48 hours to each day so we can get done what we want to.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Marilyn Brant said...

LOL! I share with you a lot of the repeated words on your list. I think my characters mostly walk, gaze and shrug...not sure what they'd do if asked meditate or traverse :-).

Off to read the blogs you mentioned--thanks for the links!

~Sia McKye~ said...

You crack me up Nancy! There are days when procrastination bites me on the butt. I hate it. My muse has a Jewish side, other than the whip cracking, leather bustier, leather boots persona. Boy can she lay the guilt on me, oy vey!

I'd love to borrow this article for Over Coffee. It would be perfect...

Jessica Nelson said...

LOL! Well congrats on getting the package out. :-) I procrastinate too.

Unknown said...

Good stuff! And thanks for the overused words link...that would have been really helpful when I was revising!

Joan De La Haye said...

Good to know I'm not the only one who procrastinates by reading others blogs.

Joan De La Haye
http://joandelahaye.wordpress.com/