Saturday, April 25, 2009

WAG, part 9



“WAG #9: Warning!” Last week the topic was to make something ugly sound beautiful, so this time let’s do the opposite! Choose an unfamiliar object (in other words, one you have no history with) that strikes you as beautiful, appealing, or somehow desirable etc… some ideas might be: a child, a sunset, an attractive shop window, a scenic view, a piece of art, an appetising meal in a restaurant… and write about it in such as way as to make it unappealing or even disgusting, frightening or repulsive to your reader. If you did last week’s topic as well (Rose Colored Glasses) I’d be very interested to know which of these was harder for you...

It was dark when I opened the door and let in my big mutt, George. As he passed by I reached down to pat him only to feel something sticky and wet. The smell. Oh, boy the smell was rancid. "Sit!" I commanded while my mind stared at my hand and thought "Ew, what is that?!"

What indeed. The old boy has a triple coat of long multicolored hair that is usually silky soft. Not any more. He rolled in something... something, sticky, stinky and probably...dead. Sigh. George sat there patiently while I washed my hands and scolded him. The look on his face was priceless. He'd had a good time and was not about to apologize for it. The rank smell of death filled the kitchen. I dragged him to the bathroom and straight into the tub where I proceeded to cover him with half a bottle of dog shampoo. Unfortunately, the coconut smell of the shampoo did little to cut through the sticky smell of death. Now I had an 80 pound sticky soapy mutt. Who thought it was all a great game as he shook and coated me with more rank.

It took an hour and several different types of soaps to remove the gunk from his coat. When it was done, he still had the faint odor of death on him, but his coat was squeaky clean. Next step was to go out with a flashlight, still covered in yuck myself and try to discover what he killed then rolled in. If I didn't find it, he would roll again the moment I let him out. After twenty minutes of searching in the dark, I caught a stronger whiff of the scent that covered me. Following my nose, I found it. A small opossum with its neck snapped covered in the smell and goo I'd washed from my beloved pet. A small burial was performed and when all was right with my world, I went to shower myself in hopes that human soap would rid me of the stench.

Okay, thanks for reading! If you want to read and follow other great Wag bloggers go to Nixy Valentine's blog for links. We would love for you to join in the fun. Details on how to join wag are found on Nixy's blog. Cheers!

8 comments:

Marty said...

That WAS disgusting - but I guess that was your point. YIKES!

The Dating Doctor said...

Yuk.

But it worked...loved the descriptive stuff about the smell.

Anonymous said...

Okay that was repulsive! I loved the look on the dog's face. Heh.

Gunnar Helliesen said...

I like it, you managed to get the yuckiness across, as well as the dog's cool attitude.

Sharon Donovan said...

How true and so disgusting of our beloved pets. They manage to turn the most repulsive into fun and games.

Iain Martin said...

Well, Nancy, I guess it's unanimous so far; you got us! Nice descriptive piece. Although I must admit that since I have a dog your work was already more than half done heheheh.

J. M. Strother said...

Been there. Done that. With every single dog I've ever had. Yet we still love them. Go figure. ;)

Nice take on the theme.
~jon

Unknown said...

Thank Goodness my dog only rolls on worms! :-D

Nice Nancy.