Sunday, March 1, 2009

Writer's Adventure Group- WAG

I met writers Nixy Valentine and Marsha (Write on) through their fabulous blogs and Facebook. (I have learned to love the social media.) Since we are writers and therefore spend a great deal of time shut up in our rooms, Nixy proposed we have some outdoor adventures and formed the Writer's Adventure Group or WAG. Our mission- to fulfill the weekly assignments, post them and link to other blogs.

All writers are welcome to join in, and we’ll be doing something a little different every week. Original rules on Nixy's blog linked above. Here are the basics:

Each week we’ll do a little mini-writing project together, and post the results on our blogs. This week's assignment is:

The Sky Is The Limit
Outdoor scenes often use the sky, light, or weather to create a mood. So this week let’s practice that. Go outside and look up. Describe the sky exactly as you see it. Use concrete words, no flowery language or metaphor. The idea is to let the physical speak for itself and to train us to be able to create the idea of “peaceful”, “beautiful”, “amazing” without using those kinds of empty words that tell the reader how to feel. Keep it real. No aliens or imaginings or memories. This is an observational exercise!

Following is my example: Gosh I so love to write metaphor and simile...sheesh. Okay-bare bones. Here is what I see this morning.

A huge dome with ends I can't see. The center of the dome is darkest of the pale blues that graduate along the edges to white. Stratus clouds act like lace around the edges. (too flowery?) Hmm. Stratus clouds at the edges go from white to gray as they thicken. The sun-nearer to the horizon is yellow white filtered through the clouds at the fringe. Flocks of dark Canadian geese fly in vees over head. Sparrows and chickadee flutter about, chasing giant black crows. Sounds of honking and kawing vibrate through the air. The very sky itself is cold. Releasing tiny bits of snow that float and never land-too dry to accumulate. Dark branches break up my view as the sun slowly rises in the east.

Okay-Can't wait to read others-have a good week everyone.

6 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That does sound challenging, but you tackled the assignment very well!

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Jessica Nelson said...

Cool exercise. I'm going to remember this. :-)

Marilyn Brant said...

What a fabulous idea! I'm really intrigued by the specifics of your writing exercise, too. It's been so long since I wrote just what I saw, as opposed to trying to "connect" the visual to a memory or emotion. You've got me tempted to try this...and I'll definitely check out Nixy's and Marsha's posts!!

Bowman said...

"Nixy proposed we have some outdoor adventures"

Wisdom.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Oh my, Nancy. Wow. I'll have to think on this one and I'll do my best to post one... It will certainly get me outside to do it. Where did you want these? here or on Nixy's?

Anonymous said...

Wow, you did a fabulous job! I could so clearly visualise what you described. Loved it!

For everyone that wants to participate, you can send links (of your own results posted on your blogs) to me today at nixyvalentine AT gmail DOT com. There's instructions posted at http://www.nixyvalentine.com if you need more info. If you miss this weeks', there will be more posted with the results.

I'll be posting everyone's outcomes tomorrow, as well as instructions for next week's exercise.

I do hope you'll join us! It's been fantastic fun.