Thursday, November 17, 2011

Gluten-free Thursday- pie

Like many other people, I've been forced to be gluten-free for medical reasons. One of my hobbies is baking and it's tough to bake gluten-free. Many friends have asked for some recipes. I hope to have at least one GF recipe a month posted here. (No worries, I use mixes so you don't have to weigh your own flours, etc.)
Today is
Gluten-free Sour Cream, Chocolate Chip, Pecan Pie.

Crust:

I use Gluten Free Pantry perfect pie crust mix. I find it at Walmart, Whole Foods, and Jewel/Osco.
You can follow the recipe on the back and freeze three of the four crusts. Or do the following:

Use 1 cup all purpose flour of your choice. (I used 1 cup of the mix above.)
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
mix. Cut in 5 tbsp butter and 5 tbps shortening (I use all butter) until pea size.
Then add 1 beaten egg, 1 tbsp COLD water, 1 and 1/2 tsp cider vinegar.
Mix until makes a ball-do not over mix. refrigerate for 1 hour.

Roll out to two 8" pie crusts or one deep dish crust.

Filling:
4 eggs
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp GF vanilla
dash of salt
Beat with whisk until well combined.

Add 2 cups chopped pecans and 1 cup chocolate chips.
Pour into pie crust - careful not to overfill.
Bake in 350 degree over for 40-45 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
Enjoy!


2 comments:

Marilyn Brant said...

Nancy, this sounds delicious!! Thank you for sharing the recipe with us ;).

Nancy J. Parra said...

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks! It is yum!! Cheers~